Apologies, but no results were found. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.
Suvarnadurg fort is a fort located near Dapoli in Ratnagiri district. This fort is one of the major sea forts in Maharashtra. Suvarnadurg fort between Mumbai and Goa is a fort that is located on a small island in the Arabian Sea, near Harnai in Konkan, along with the West Coast of India, in the Indian state of Maharashtra. The fort also includes another land fort (small) called the Kanakadurga at the base of the headland of Harnai port on the coast. The building of the fort is credited to Shivaji, founder of the Maratha Empire, in 1660. Subsequently, Shivaji, other Peshwas, and the Angres further fortified the forts for defense purposes. The literal meaning of Suvanadurga is "Golden Fort" as it was considered as the pride or the "feather in the golden cap of Marathas". Suvarnadurg fort was built by Sultan Adilshah. He was the Sultan of Bijapur in the state of Karnataka. The fort also includes another small land fort called the Kanakadurga at the base of the headland of Harnai port on the coast. Built for the Maratha Navy for defense purposes, the fort also had a shipbuilding facility. The basic objective of establishing the fort was to counter enemy attacks, mainly by the colonialists of Europe and also by the local chieftains. In the past, the land fort and the sea fort were connected by a tunnel, but this is now defunct. The present approach to the sea fort is only by boats from the Harnai port on the headland. It is a protected monument. Suvarnadurg fort was captured by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in 1660 by defeating Ali Adil Shah. This fort was ruled by Maratha rulers, Peshwe rulers & British in order to provide a solid defense to their empires. In 1755, William James carried out an attack on this fort. This attack had seriously damaged the fort. This was a very strong fort in the past but now all parts are in ruins. Kanhoji Angre majorly had the control of this fort for a long time. Kanhoji was the Admiral of the Maratha Navy. The entire west coast from Mumbai to Vengurla (Except Janjira Fort) was in the control of Kanhoji Angre. Walls are made up of solid rock and the ramparts are constructed by using huge square blocks. The Suvarnadurg fort has many bastions and two Darwajas. There is also a hidden main gate which opens towards the east side. It has on its threshold a carved figure of a tortoise and on the side wall, that of Maruti (Hanuman). There were some buildings, water tanks and a place for ordinance inside the Suvarnadurg fort. However, the mortar was not used in the construction of walls. Local people often prevent visitors from exploring the Suvarnadurg from inside. The land fort and the sea fort were connected by a tunnel in the past but this is now defunct. Suvarnadurg fort is about 8 acres big with stonewall bastions. The sea-gate depicts carved figures of a tiger, eagle, elephants and 15 old guns have also been there in the fort. You can reach the sea fort by taking boats from the Harnai port on the headland. There is a famous lighthouse on the half-acre land. This fort is now a protected monument. This is a nice place to explore near Dapoli. If you are in Dapoli then try to visit this fort. Places to visit near Suvarnadurg Fort : Goa Fort, Kanakadurga Fort, Fattegad Fort, Harnai Beach, Harnai Fish Market.