Sindhudurg Fort is a historical fort that occupies an islet in the Arabian Sea, just off the coast of Maharashtra in Western India. The fortress lies on the shore of Malvan town of Sindhudurg District in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, 450 kilometres south of Mumbai. Sindhudurg fort was built on Kurte Island, very near to the coast of Malvan. Malvan being an important port, building a fort near this was an important strategic requirement. Kurte was a perfect island with sufficient rock surface, accessibility and sufficient potable water sources to build a fort. Sindhudurg increased the strength of Marathas and helped them to keep a check on the English, Portuguese and pirates. The Bakhar written by Chitragupta aptly mentions this fort as the most invaluable asset to Shivaji Maharaj. This fort was constructed by Shri Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, today also we can see his foot & palm print in fort. The construction was done under the supervision of Hiroji Indulkar, in the year 1656. There is a sacred rock near Malvan called “Moryacha Dhonda”, which represents has carvings of Lord Ganesh, the Sun and the Moon and Shiv Linga. This sacred rock was worshipped before starting construction of Sindhudurg fort. There are letters which gives details about Shri Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's vision of building forts. In one such letter details about the resources required for Sindhudurg is mentioned. There were about 500 masons, 200 blacksmiths, 100 Portuguese and 3000 workers who worked for 3 years. The characteristic of Sindhudurg is that the foundation stones are laid down in slots and molten lead was poured to fix them strongly. The lime stone was ordered from central part of the Deccan plateau. Shivaji Maharaj had written specific details on resource management in his letters, and was personally present on 29th March 1667 when the fort was completed. After the death of Rajaram Maharaj in 1700. Tarabai ruled the Maratha Empire from Satara. As per the treaty of Warna between Shahu and Tarabai, Malvan came under her control. Major Gordon and Captain Watson captured the fort on 28 January 1765 and renamed it as Fort Augustus. In an Anglo-Maratha truce the fort was returned to Marathas on 2nd January 1766. In 1792 the British again regained the fort by helping Karveerkars against Desai of Nipani.