Apologies, but no results were found. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.
Sawantwadi is a taluka (a unit of administration) in the Sindhudurg district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Sawantwadi was formerly the capital of the Kingdom of Sawantwadi, ruled by the Sawant Bhonsle royal clan of the Marathas. Until 1850, Sawantwadi was known as Sundurwadi. The name Sawantwadi came into usage because of the surname of the state's ruling family of Khem-Sawants. The palace was earlier located on Narendra hill. Khemsawant III constructed the existing palace in late 18th century (1755–1803), and Moti-Talav (Moti Lake) was built in front in 1874. Sawantwadi is known for its wooden toys and models thanks to an active woodcraft industry. It is also becoming a major tourist attraction. Sawantwadi was the former capital of the Kingdom of Sawantwadi during the pre-independence era. In 1947, it merged into the Dominion of India. Border issues at that time with nearby areas of Belgaum and Karwar were prevalent. There were initial plans of making it a union territory as it was a Konkani speaking area, However it was merged with the old Ratnagiri district. (The district was later divided into two districts called Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg). Until the 18th century, the Kingdom of Sawantwadi included a major portion of today's North Goa district (Pedne, Bicholim, and Sattari), as well as modern Kudal and Vengurla from today's Sindhudurg district. Pedne, Bicholim, Sattari were later taken over by the Portuguese as a part of their New Conquest (between 1765 and 1788) and merged with their Old Conquest to form Goa.