Khanderi FortKhanderi (Official name Kanhoji Angre Island, Old British name Kennery) is located 5 km off the coast of Maharashtra (off Thal, Kihim) and 20 km south of Mumbai. Khanderi, along with its sister fort Underi (Jaidurg) formed the major fortification along the Maharashtra coast, the former falling under Shivaji's control and the latter under his opponents, the Siddis. The island consists of two high hills, one facing north and the other facing south, both of the islands were initially unsettled.In 1967, Khanderi was occupied by the forces of Shivaji who oversaw the building of the fortifying walls.Khanderi fort was built by Marathas king Shivaji in early 1660 to keep a check on the Siddis at Murud-Janjira fort and was the site of many battles between Shivaji's forces and the navy of Sidi. It contained two wells to supply water to the forces within, and a temple of Sri Betal.
The fort remained under the rule of Marathas until 1750, which later became a part of the Peshwa territory. Moreover, the fort was under the British rule, where they built a lighthouse, which is in ruins at present. This lighthouse was called as an octagonal masonry tower, which was built in 1867 with a height of 75 ft. On a flat-roofed house, it was constructed with a lantern in the center, which is 161 ft above the sea level.At the time of danger, a red ray was shown, which covered the seaward of Alibaug and Cul. To the north-east of the tower, there were a 200 ft high flagstaff stand. At present, the fort is under the control and management of Bombay Port Trust Administration. By using local boats, visitors can reach the site with the permission of Bombay Port Trust.
Places to visit:As we sail towards Khanderi from Thal, we can clearly see the walls and the Light-house on the fort. The island has two mounds, on north and south. The jetty on the fort is in the central part between these mounds. There is a canon buried near the tourist entrance. As we get to the fort, we can roam about by following a trail along the ramparts.
Following are the distinct places on the fort: